Butternut Squash & Four Bean Chili
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups onion chopped
- 1.5 cups carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups butternut squash diced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 15 oz cans beans black, pinto, cannellini, and red beans
- 3 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tbs. cumin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until it starts to brown (~5 min). Reduce heat to medium. Add carrot and continue cooking, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft (~4-5 more min).
- Add garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Next, stir in broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add squash, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne. Cover and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Optional: diced onion, cotija cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds.